Foster Survey Company – Experienced and Professional Residential Septic System Designers
Foster Survey Company and RI Professional land Surveyor and RIDEM Class II Septic System Designer, Eric D. Colburn PLS, give the best value and highest quality residential septic system designs throughout Rhode Island.
“Designing a new septic system is as much an art as it is a science,” said Eric D. Colburn PLS, “where there’s a false economy to paying for a fast, unrealistic, and cheap design. I’ve seen many poorly designed septic systems that cost more than advertised, waste time with countless approval submissions to RIDEM because of design oversights, and add unnecessary construction costs.”
New Construction Septic Systems Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) Designs
New Construction Septic Systems Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) designs generally include undeveloped land (un-sewered areas) and are not designs considered Repair Septic Systems OWTS or Alteration Septic Systems OWTS, according to the RI Department of Environmental Management (RIDEM) Rules & Regulations.New Construction Septic Systems OWTS design include land that is undeveloped (un-sewered areas) and are not designs considered Repair Septic Systems OWTS or Alteration Septic Systems OWTS.
Most typically, we would design a New Construction Septic System OWTS when:
- You build a new house.
- More than one bedroom is added to your existing home.
Alteration Septic System Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) Designs
Alteration Septic System OWTS designs are for the alteration of existing sewage disposal systems. Alteration Septic System OWTS designs are appropriate whenever:
- Proposed change in the size of an existing Septic System OWTS.
- Modification of an existing Septic system OWTS.
- A building renovation or change of use of any structure discharging sewage into the Septic System.
A “change in size” of an existing Septic system means any physical alteration to your Septic System which will allow the system to accommodate:
- In the case of a residence, the additional sewage flow resulting from the addition of not more than one bedroom; or
- In all other cases, an increased flow of sewage in an amount less than or equal to twenty-five percent (25%) of the design flow.
Changes in size which will accommodate increased sewage flows resulting from more than one
bedroom or in an amount greater than twenty-five percent (25%) of the design flow (approved) must obtain a permit as a New Construction Septic Systems OWTS.
Repair Septic System Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) Designs
Repair Septic System OWTS designs are for the repair of existing septic systems only. Repair Septic System OWTS designs do not propose:
- Any construction, building renovation, change of use of a structure.
- Any increase in the original design flow of the system.
- Does not authorize any building renovation of any structure
The Septic System Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) Design Process
In addition to our designing a New Construction Septic System you will first need to have Soil Evaluation testing done, prior to any design, and Designers Supervision services when the New Construction Septic System is constructed and installed, which are not included.
Septic System Design Steps
- Designing a New Construction OWTS Septic System begins with a site assessment and Soil Evaluation testing to find the Seasonal High Groundwater Table. The Soil Evaluation testing also identifies the soil types and how fast water travels through the soils.
- We do a topographic survey to find the existing land grades and survey site features, like: soil test holes, wells, septic systems, walls, roads and driveways, buildings, and site constraints such as ledge outcrops, to name a few.
- We evaluate the Soil Evaluation data and topographic survey for the new septic system placement, house site, and well site, by RIDEM Rules & Regulations. We size the new septic system based on the total number of proposed bedrooms and the soils types.
- We review the preliminary OWTS septic system designs with you.
- We prepare an extensive and professional OWTS Septic System design plan and complete all RIDEM OWTS application and submission materials.
- We hand deliver every OWTS Septic System Design Application directly to the RIDEM Office of Water Resources in Providence, RI.
Foster Survey Company uses the latest 3D design software to create for you accurate septic system OWTS design models. Our 3D design software also allows us to easily test many design models at the same time, giving us the ability to choose the best septic system design for your land and site development plans. 3D modeling of the real-world, both existing and proposed, creates efficient and cost-effective septic system OWTS designs.
“In the past, hand-drawn and even computer drafted septic systems, formerly called ISDS, took so much time to design, some designers forced one design into a site just to save time,” said Eric D. Colburn PLS, “but with our AutoCAD Civil 3D Building Information Modeling solution, we can quickly evaluate different septic system design models, with changes updating automatically throughout the design and plans. This saves you both time and money, while giving a reliable design”
Working with Foster Survey Company and Eric D. Colburn, PLS is easy and professional. We respect your need for prompt and expert service, and invite you to experience the value, experience, and quality our repeat customers keep returning to Foster Survey Company for all their professional land surveying needs.
Valid only in Rhode Island, excluding New Shoreham (Block Island) and Prudence Island. Call for pricing for surveys on New Shoreham (Block Island) and Prudence Island.
Does not include commercial Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS) Design
Does not include Soil Evaluation Testing.
Does not include application fees to accompany application to RIDEM.
Does not include backhoe, excavator, construction or installation.
Does not include Variance OWTS applications.
Does not include Designers Supervision or Designers Certificate of Conformance.
Does not include boundary surveying.